Established in 1988, the Lifeguard In Training (LIT) Program offers young men and women the opportunity to learn about ocean lifeguarding from professional lifeguards. Many LITs become ocean lifeguards for Long Beach Township once they successfully complete the program. Within the LIT Program, we have two different sections. Our first section is for kids 13-15 years of age and our second section is for kids 10-12 years of age.
The LIT Program is designed to educate young men and women in all aspects of ocean lifeguarding. In fact, all LITs are issued their own uniform and rescue can. They also learn how to make swimming and paddleboard rescues and are instructed in American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
The Lifeguard In Training Program (LIT) also concentrates on improving physical, mental, and social skills while developing maturity. These skills and goals are met through practical and objective application and testing, guided by the instructors.
The LIT Program will include ocean and beach safety, lifesaving techniques and procedures, [EMR (Emergency Medical Response) and CPR for 15 year olds only], development of swimming skills, and competition events with other town’s lifeguard in training programs.
Our instructors are Long Beach Township Beach Patrol Lifeguards who have been chosen to work with the Lifeguard In Training Program based on their work history, lifeguarding experience, educational background, and a strong desire to work as an LIT Instructor. The Program is managed by the LIT Program Director.
Dates & Times
Classes meet at Bayview Park, 68th St. on the Bay in Brant Beach.
The program runs Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for LIT, ages 13 through 15, and Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for B-LIT, ages 10 to 12.
There will be optional skill sessions Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. for those LIT’s and B-LIT’s who want or need additional skill instruction, as determined by the program instructor.
- Applicants must be at least 10 years of age and may not be 16 years of age or older.
- New and Veteran LIT/B-LIT applicants must submit applications by May 1, 2023.
- Applications will not be accepted unless accompanied by a copy of the applicants birth certificate.
- Priority for sessions will be given to returning LITs/B-LITs. Admission to the program is limited.
- Applicants must pass a 150-yard swim test in 2:30 minutes or less for LITs and 3:00 minutes or less for B-LITs. LBTBP’s Physician Health form must be presented prior to or at the time of the swim test. If this form is not received, the applicant will not be permitted to take the swim test.
- Participants of the LIT Program will be charged a fee of $225.00 for a single session or $375.00 for both sessions. Participants of the B-LIT Program will be charged a fee of $90.00 for a single session or $150.00 for both sessions. This fee is due only upon your notified acceptance into the LIT / B-LIT Program.
2023 LIT-BLIT Application <– Click link to Download
1 The Long Beach Township Beach Patrol reserves the right to alter, in any way, the Lifeguard In Training Program.